I met Lianna at MicroConf Vegas where she gave a really good talk about humor in copy.
I find fascinating when people take a creative skill and merge it with a freelancing or productize service career in some sort of marketing service like copywriting.
We talk about tips when using both research and data-driven insights with humor to resonate more with your target audience, her stand-up and comedy background, and how she productized her copywriting consulting.
[4:15] How Lianna came to mix copywriting with humor. Systematizing the discovery of a client’s style.
- “There’s a lot of things that work on the same level between improv and copywriting, like the rule of 3.”
- “What was going on in your life that brought you to solve this problem?”
[16:19] Principles to include humor in the copy. Including Easter-eggs in the text. How a typical project looks like.
- “When I’m making jokes on a piece of copy I never want to sacrifice the message of the copy itself.”
[23:41] What kind of humor works best to each audience. How it is a outsourcing copywriting. Working side by side with the designer.
- “Design needs to support copy and vice-versa.”
[30:28] How Lianna is getting her clients. The importance of a fast turnaround. The buy-my-day model and the credits model.
- “Audit all your copy assets for the word we where in fact it should say you.”
PS: If you know of someone who has an interesting story or angle that you think would make for a great episode here in the Productize Podcast, I’ll really appreciate if you suggest them at www.staging.productizepodcast.flywheelsites.com/suggest.